Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Too Connected?

     This post is coming a few days late as I  was trapped in Mexico over spring break. My original flight was delayed 4 hours only to find out that they had over sold tickets and there were no seats left on the plane for us. We were literally trapped in paradise. A day later I am home and am able to write last weeks post.
     A rule that I have with my boyfriend is that when we are on a date we do not use our phones extensively, only when needed. When I travel I try to disconnect from technology as well. I take pictures with a camera, not my iPhone, and I usually do not bring a computer or tablet. It feels so good to disconnect from it all and just enjoy time with friends, new sights, and a different culture. This trip was made even easier by the fact that I did not have an international plan. However, throughout my trip I saw families so involved with their technology that they were not interacting at all. Or kids playing in the pools shouting "look mom!" only to see that mom was too busy on her phone and waved her kids off.
     I do not doubt that technology is fun, useful, and has its place in today's culture, but I do wonder if we are TOO connected that we are missing out on life's moments with our face behind the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment