Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Reflection Blog

      As the semester winds down the amount of assignments due seems to build up. My blog has been pushed aside making room for papers, reflections, and project deadlines. This semester has been a full of new tools, ideas, and viewpoints on technology in the classroom.
      At the beginning, in January, I did not believe tech belonged in the classroom. However, after reading, discussing, researching, and using many tech tools this semester I can see where and how we need to integrate this into our schools and curriculum. My favorites include Storybird, Instagram, and Twitter.
     Storybird was discovered in the assignment where I needed to compile a list of 10 tech sites and tools for the classroom. It is free and so simple to use. I set up a class account as well as one for each student to use at home. The kids look forward to creating stories and selecting the artwork. It has been a huge hit and I plan to continue to use it. The class does not know it yet, but for the end of the year I will be ordering a copy of each child's story as a graduation gift. I cant wait to see how excited they are to see their work in an actual book!
     Instagram has been a social media tool I have been using in my personal life. I really enjoy sharing pictures and statements with friends and family. After reading how teachers are using Instagram to share daily interactions with families and branding their classroom I am excited to start using this tool next year. Because we are a private school there are a few steps I need to do first to check what I can and cannot post and how to make it a private group just for the families.
     I am still an early stage user of Twitter, still feeling it out and reading more than posting. I am excited about the network of teachers, educators, and thinkers I am connecting with. I am not sure that I will use Twitter as a communication or branding tool just yet, but I am excited to be a part of the community.
     In addition to learning about technology websites and apps I had the pleasure of working with a few peers on a project. I have never been a fan of group projects. As a child I usually ended up doing all the work or getting upset... too type A to not have my ideas produced the way I want I guess. I was hesitant how working with a group only online would be. Surprisingly, it went very well. I was put with two great guys how were ready to work and produce an awesome project. Sure there were ups and downs, but overall it was a cool experience to have. I can imagine how this skill is utilized by leaders to stay connected, work together, and share when they are apart.
     And with the close of this blog I wish everyone a happy summer break!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment